Pre-K Registration FAQ
How do I register for Pre-K?
Registration for full-day Pre-k and kindergarten opens Saturday, April 1 and is 100% online. Registration is not complete until the campus has received all qualifying documentation. All registration documents must be uploaded or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Required documents include a birth certificate, shot records, social security card, proof of residency, and parent ID. Qualification documents can be provided in person at the Enrollment Center or emailed to email@example.com.
Out-of-district Pre-K and kindergarten scholars - students who reside outside of CHISD will be automatically waitlisted until after Labor Day; at that time if space permits evaluation of out-of-district Pre-K and kindergarten students will take place, but there is no guarantee spots will be available.
How do I submit my documents to qualify for free Pre-K?
Parents can bring their documents to the Lacy Enrollment Center located at 504 E. Belt Line Rd, Cedar Hill, TX 75104 or upload them to your enrollment application in Skyward, or email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I get a copy of my child’s birth certificate?
If your child was born in Texas, you can order a copy of their birth certificate online by clicking here. The cost of ordering a copy of a Texas birth certificate is $22.
How much does Pre-K cost?
CHISD offers free and tuition-based Pre-K options. To find out if you qualify for free Pre-K, review the state qualifications here. Tuition based Prek is also available. Pre-K tuition costs $550 per month ($275 for current CHISD employees, $495 per child for parents of multiples) or free for those who qualify.
Does the district offer full-day Pre-K?
Yes, on June 5, 2017, the CHISD Board of Trustees approved full-day Pre-K at every elementary campus.
How do I know which school I'm zoned for?
Can my child attend a school that is different from our attendance zone?
Yes, if a district transfer is approved. However, all students must register at their home campus and must complete all registration requirements before a transfer request is submitted; transfer requests will open to parents on April 1, 2023.
I don't live in Cedar Hill, can my child still attend a school within the district?
Yes, CHISD schools are open to students in surrounding communities, as long as space is available. Out-of-district pre-k scholars will be automatically waitlisted until after Labor Day; at that time, if space permits, evaluation of out-of-district Pre-K students will take place, but there is no guarantee spots will be available.
Which campuses offer full-day Pre-K and kindergarten?
- Collegiate Prep - This campus offers an emphasis on college preparation. Prek is free to those who qualify.
- High Pointe - This campus offers an emphasis on fine arts. PreK is free to those who qualify.
- Highlands - This campus offers free prek to those who qualify.
- Lake Ridge - This campus offers free regular prek to those who qualify and Montessori prek options.
- Plummer - This campus offers free prek to those who qualify.
- Waterford Oaks - This campus offers free prek to those who qualify.
*Tuition-based options are also available at all campuses.
What is your student-to-teacher ratio in kindergarten?
On average, there are 20 students in a class and one teacher.
What if I have more questions?
Email email@example.com if you have any more questions.
What are the qualifications for free Pre-k?
If your child is four years old by Sept. 1, 2023, they might be eligible for free full-day Pre-K based on one or more of the following:
- Unable to speak and understand the English language
- Economically disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program)
- Child of a member of the United States armed forces (active, deceased or injured)
- Has ever been in the care of the Texas Department of Family Services
- Child of a receipt for the Star of Texas Award
If my family does not meet the qualifications for free prekindergarten, can I pay for my scholar to attend?
- Yes. Tuition-based prekindergarten is $550 a month for families and $275 a month for current CHISD employees. Families must complete the registration and enrollment process to secure their scholar’s spot. There is a $50 deposit for families or $25 for an employee.
When will I be notified that my scholar is in a Pre-K program?
Parents will be notified within 48 hours via email. (This does not apply to families who have applied for a Pre-K Choice Program.)
How do I register my student for before and after-school care?
Elementary scholars receive care before and after school on their campus. The fee-based program is managed by a company called Right at School. Click here to register.
How safe are your schools?
Your child's safety is a priority. Every campus has a secure entrance, and the district employs police officers and security guards. To learn more about the district’s safety and security measures, click here.
What do scholars learn in prekindergarten?
CHISD follows the State of Texas' PreK curriculum guidelines, which include oral language development, early literacy, mathematics, science, social studies, fine arts, personal, social and physical development.
Is prekindergarten mandatory?
- PreK is not mandatory. For scholars enrolled in PreK, attendance is required and they are subject to compulsory school attendance rules while they are enrolled in school.