The CHISD athletics department will induct seven former athletes and staff into the seventh annual Longhorn Legacy Athletic Hall of Fame on Saturday, April 6, at 1 p.m. in the CHHS Performing Arts Center.
The following former athletes and staff will be honored at the induction ceremony:
- Harland Hill, Class of 1996 – Hill participated in football, powerlifting and track and attended Texas Tech University on a football scholarship.
- William Cole, Class of 2007 – Cole was the starting quarterback for the 2006 varsity football state championship team. He attended Oklahoma State University on a football scholarship and signed with the CFL BC Lions as a free agent in 2013.
- Chris Francis, Class of 2007 – Francis was a member of the 2006 varsity football state championship. He attended Baylor University on a football scholarship, signed as a free agent with the Oakland Raiders and played in the CFL with the Saskatchewan Rough Riders.
- Josh Thomas, Class of 2007 - Thomas was a member of the 2006 varsity football state championship team. He attended the University of Buffalo on a football scholarship, was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in 2011 and played in the NFL for six years.
- Ben Malena, Class of 2010 – Malena played football and participated in track and field. He attended Texas A&M University on a football scholarship and signed with the Dallas Cowboys as a free agent in 2014.
- Driphus Jackson, Class of 2011 - Driphus attended Rice University on a football scholarship and ranked second in all-time in passing touchdowns with 48. He was the Hawaii Bowl MVP in 2014 and nominated for AFCA Good Works Team for contributions to his community.
- Joey McGuire, Longhorn Football Coach 1997-2017 –McGuire won three state championships and played in state games four times. His overall record as head coach is 141 – 42. During his tenure, Longhorn football accumulated $23,247,847 in athletic scholarships. McGuire was hired in 2017 as the tight ends coach at Baylor University and was recently named the Assistant Head Coach at Baylor.
Cedar Hill ISD athletics initiated to the Longhorn Legacy Athletic Hall of Fame Inductions to honor athletes and staff who’ve made an impact in athletics inside and outside the district.
“The CHISD athletics program has an outstanding reputation because of what our players and staff have accomplished as Longhorns and beyond,” said executive director of athletics Gina Farmer.