The funds follow all students in the class of 2023 and 2024 through their first year of college to help them improve academic achievement, and ensure high school graduation and college enrollment. The funds are used to serve scholar, parent, and staff development.
The district uses the money in several areas:
- New college readiness staff
- College entrance exam preparation
- College financial planning and preparation for families
- Career surveys, planning
- College prep & career course alignment
- Summer enrichment camps
- Career shadowing
- New technology
- College campus visits for parents and scholars
- FAFSA assistance
- Tutoring and after-school academic success skills programs
- Leadership training
- Study skills courses
- Individualized counseling/mentoring
Parents will receive regular updates on program offerings and achievements.
CHISD staff receives training, additional classroom support, and supplemental purchases of STEM-based equipment. Educators use the college readiness teaching techniques with upcoming grade levels, benefiting more than just the scholars who are a part of the current GEAR UP program.