Cedar Hill Longhorn Red Army Band
The Cedar Hill Band Department has already established itself as one of the most successful, fastest growing organizations at Cedar Hill Independent School District! Not only do students learn to perform on a musical instrument in a variety of different settings, but they also learn the essentials of teamwork, self-motivation, self-discipline, individual responsibility, and social skills that prove to be effective in any career, sport, or other activities.
Under the leadership of Derrick Walker (Associate Director), Alexander Riggins (Assistant Director), William Johnson (Assistant Director) An’Cheyl Davis (Permenter Middle School Head Director), Reginald Young (Bessie Coleman Middle School, Head Director), Daniel Rubiano (Bessie Coleman Middle School, Asst. Director) and a host of other master teachers, students are offered instruction in marching band, jazz band, wind ensemble, symphonic band, concert band techniques, and color guard.
The success of the band program centers on pride, commitment to task, and the willingness to work hard to achieve a common goal. Though we do not expect every student in the band program to become a virtuoso musician, we do expect every student to establish both short and long range goals for improvement on his/her instrument, to exhibit mature responsible attitudes and actions at all times, and to be willing to contribute lots of hard work for the benefit of all. The following are highlighted performances from the past three years:
- Neiman Marcus Christmas Parade, Dallas, TX. 2015
- Country Day on the Hill Parade, Cedar Hill, TX. 2015, 2016, 2017
- Pre-game performance Prairie View University A&M football game 2017
- Pre-game performance Dallas Cowboy football game 2017
- Special Guest at the Williams Chicken 25th Anniversary Gala 2017
- NCAA Women’s Final Halftime Performance, Dallas TX., 2017
- Pep band performed at (3) Texas Christian University Basketball Games
- Lancaster Xtreme Battle of the Bands 1st Place Band, 2nd Place Color Guard & 1st Place Drum majors, Lancaster, TX. 2017, 2018
- Pre-game performance for the Grambling State University vs Prairie View A&M University 2017, 2018
- Port Arthur Battle of the Bands 1st Place Band, 1st Place Color Guard & 1st Place Drum Majors, Port Arthur, TX. 2018
- Super Band Bowl sponsored by PUMA 1st Place Band 2017
- City of Dallas Toyota Christmas Parade, Dallas, TX. 2017
- Townview Dr. Martin L. King Floorshow Battle of the Bands 1st Place Band, Dallas, TX. 2017
- Cedar Hill High School Marching Band Superior Rating Region 20 UIL Marching Band 2017
- Dallas Mardi Gras Ball Performance, Dallas, TX. 2018
- Jazz Band Superior Rating Region 20 UIL Solo & Ensemble, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Students receiving Superior Rating at Region 20 UIL Solo & Ensemble 2016, 2017, 2018
- Students Advancing to UIL State Solo & Ensemble 2016, 2017, 2018
- Symphonic Band Sweepstakes Region 20 Concert & Sight Reading 2018
- Symphonic Honors Sweepstakes Region 20 UIL Concert & Sight-Reading 2017, 2018, 2019
- Wind Ensemble Sweepstakes Region 20 UIL Concert & Sight Reading 2018, 2019
- Texas Rangers Major League Baseball Performance April 20, 2018
- Windy City Classic (Chicago, IL) Superior/Gold Rating and 1st Place Concert Band
- North Texas Colorguard Association Color Guard 2nd place, 3rd place and 4th in Finals
- North Texas Colorguard Association Percussion 2nd place, 3rd place and 7th in Finals
The Cedar Hill HS Band program is unique for its difference in marching styles including both traditional and corp. We strive to be known as an outstanding band with no comparison. This distinctive blend has made the program illustrious in the state of Texas. The success of this integration has never been established across the nation and continues to be a force to be reckoned with here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
The band program exists to provide an excellent musical foundation for the students. This is achieved through individual study and varied performances in many venues (both marching and concert) supporting a curriculum which places an emphasis on comprehensive musicianship. Performance opportunities include large ensembles, chamber ensembles, and solos. The skills that band students acquire in these activities are directly related to skills necessary for auditions, presentations, and interviews in other career fields.
The ultimate goal of the program is to produce graduates who are knowledgeable about music, can perform successfully with confidence, are able to operate within a structured framework, and can work to develop the skills necessary to become a lifelong musician.In addition, the program pushes the envelope to produce informed young adults of high integrity who understand and appreciate music and musicians and who will foster the continuing developments of artistic endeavors in their community.
Longhorn Band Philosophy
We dedicate ourselves to build upon our firm foundation of excellence in music and motion through integrity, discipline, and trust. We will represent our School, Community, and Band by presenting ourselves as an organization with standards and dignity. We will have pride in everything we do, continue striving for excellence, and remember there is no substitute for perfection.