Campus Leadership Program Overview

  • CAMPUS LEADERSHIP PROGRAM OVERVIEW

    The Holdsworth Center and Cedar Hill ISD were excited to welcome another group of campuses to the Campus Leadership Program (CLP) this summer!

    Highlands Elementary and Collegiate Academy Middle School and High School are the two CHISD campuses participating in the Holdsworth CLP.  The Holdsworth Leadership facilitators will work with each campus team to complete a “path forward” plan to support campuses.

    Expectations of the Campus Leadership Program:

    During the Campus Leadership Program, our campus teams will participate in the Holdsworth, 70/20/10 model of development, which argues that 70 percent of a leader’s development occurs through job-related experiences, 20 percent from interactions with others (including coaching), and 10 percent from formal educational events and training. We do not want to restrict work with leaders in our program to the narrow 10 percent, so we strive to design learning experiences that access the other 90 percent of a leader’s development. 

    The DEVELOP PERSONAL LEADERSHIP strand is driven by self-reflection and supported by executive coaching and feedback. Principals will have an executive coach throughout the first year of the program. As they progress through the year, they will be encouraged to share their goal with key stakeholders and to proactively seek feedback from stakeholders to drive their development. By involving stakeholders, they can accelerate development and change the perception of stakeholders more quickly. Throughout the two years, all leaders in the program will form and develop peer groups, providing feedback and accountability to one another.  

    We believe the competencies within the GROW AND EMPOWER OTHERS strand can only be built through practice—specifically, what Daniel Coyle has dubbed "deep practice." Deep practice requires hard work, mental struggle and extreme attention. These conditions are often hard to create and protect in the context of a campus leader’s daily work. Our goal is to use Holdsworth Sessions to create space for deep practice in how Leaders coach, develop, and empower individuals and build dynamic, learning teams. In session, we push Leaders towards repeated deep practice and then expect them to transfer and apply their practice to their campuses. 

    The CLP curriculum will focus on CREATING CHANGE to build Leaders’ mindsets and skills in leading change in order to improve student-learning, increase equitable and excellent student outcomes over time, and to successfully tackle problems in the future. 

    The curriculum is divided into four main components: 

    • Problem identification: Campuses select data that points to a real issue at the campus – a problem that is important for the campus to address if it is to achieve excellent and equitable outcomes for all students, aligned to its mission and vision. This forms the basis of the campus’ problem of practice, which they work on throughout the two-year program. 
    • Creating a shared vision: We believe each campus needs a clear vision for excellent and equitable student outcomes, supported by a vision for how other key drivers—such as organizational culture—encourage the realization of this vision. Leaders must be able to communicate clearly and effectively and inspire commitment and enrollment from stakeholders 
    • Testing and proving solutions: In order to monitor and adjust strategies for improvement, and  check whether plans and strategies for change are right or need to be revised, Leaders must have  strong measures and benchmarks for gauging the success of their tests of change ideas. 
    • Spreading and scaling what works: Once Leaders have run successful tests, they must make a compelling, data-driven case for why a certain practice should be spread and scaled and build a coalition for change with other key stakeholders. 

    Cedar Hill ISD is committed to the Holdsworth partnership,and the investment we are making in our campus leaders through their participation in CLP.

     

  • Timeline for CLP Selection

  • Interested campus leaders are asked to:

    1. Complete the Leadership Self Assessment
    2. Identify a "plus one" who will need to also complete a self assessment.
    3. Identify 4 additional staff members: Two APs/Deans/Instructional Support (teach less than 50% of the time) and Two Teacher Leaders / Teachers (teach more than 50% of the time); these four leaders will also need to complete their self assessment form. 
  • Teacher Self Assessment
  • AP Dean Instructional Support Self Assessment
  • Plus One Leadership Self-Assessment
  • Principal Leadership Self-Assessment