House Bill 3 Reading Academies
Scholar literacy is an important part of Cedar Hill ISD's plan to Educate, Empower and Inspire. Literacy is a CHISD District Student Outcome Goal (to increase the percentage of 3rd grade scholars reading at or above grade level) and our teachers are the people who help introduce literacy to our scholars.
Through House Bill 3, the State of Texas is requiring all kindergarten through third grade teachers and kindergarten through 5th grade special education teachers to be trained in the Texas Reading Academy curriculum before the beginnig of the 2022-23 school year.
Reading at grade level by third grade is a key benchmark in a child’s educational growth measures. TEA has conducted many studies that show how many educators are not prepared to provide evidence-based reading instruction, assess student learning, and adjust instruction based on specific needs. Because of this, HB3 Reading Academies were designed and created to be implemented by school districts before the 2022-2023 school year.
Texas Reading Academies Content
The Science of Teaching reading is similar to Scarborough’s Reading Rope, an example is below.
The Texas Reading Academies will be comprised of the following 12 modules:
- MODULE 1: Introduction, Overview, Scope, and Sequence
- MODULE 2: Science of Teaching Reading
- MODULE 3: Establishing a Literacy Community
- MODULE 4: Using Assessment Data to Inform Instruction
- MODULE 5: Oral Language and Vocabulary
- MODULE 6: Phonological Awareness
- MODULE 7: Alphabet Knowledge and Handwriting
- MODULE 8: Decoding, Encoding, and Word Study
- MODULE 9: Reading Fluency
- MODULE 10: Reading Comprehension
- MODULE 11: Composition
- MODULE 12: Tiered Supports
In Year 1 (2021-22)- Train Kindergarten through first grade teachers with the exception of Specials teachers, all elementary Special Education teachers and all campus administrators.
In Year 2 (2022-23)- Train all second and third grade teachers and any newly hired elementary Special Education teachers or campus administrators.
For questions about Cedar Hill ISD's participation in the TEA Reading Academies, please email the Executive Director of Teaching and Learning.